INTRODUCTION: LOCAL & GLOBAL MISSION.
Youth With A Mission (YWAM) Arusha is a center associated and affiliated with Youth With A Mission Tanzania, duly registered with ministry of home affairs under the societies ordinance, 1954. The mission was registered on 1st September 1992 and given registration certificate no SO.6835.
Subsiquently the same is was given certificate of incorporation in 1994 and with TRA given TIN no 101-917-274 with effect from June 26th 2003.
YWAM is an interdenominational christian mission organization, religious in nature but not affiliated with any specific church denomination therefore working with all christian churches in the country.
YWAM is also international in scope, the international mission started in 1960 in the United States of America but
has since spread in over 180 countries, with over 1,200 mission centers (like Ywam Arusha) and with a staff population of over 18,000 volunteer missionaries.
The mission both local and international works in three key areas of Evangelism, Christian Training & Mercy/Relief services (community development & related)
Youth With A Mission therefore can best be described as a global movement of Christians from many cultures, age groups, christian traditions, backgrounds dedicated to serving Jesus throughout the world and given to the service of mankind across the globe. In all our activities, ministries and training programs we desire to see God’s transformation take effect in every sphere of society from Family, Government, Economics,Religion,Education, Media, Arts & sports.
Youth With A Mission in Arusha was established in September 2000 then located in Olorien village, Arumeru district, subsiquently a permanent center was built and the mission moved into its home located at Ilkiushin village, Olturmet – Arumeru district.
The Arusha center has subsiquently established field offices in Longido district, Karatu district and most recently Ikungi district of Singida region all run and administered under the Arusha mission center.
YWAM ARUSHA:- OPERATIONS, PROGRAMS & MINISTRIES
- Main Office – Ilkiushin Village, Olturmet.
The main operating office for Youth With A Mission, Arusha as stated above is located on Farm 988, Ilkiushin Village where a permanent center has been developed since 2003. At this location we run the administration of the entire family of Arusha ministries.
Ywam, runs christian religious training programs at this center, these are designed to equip Christian workers, pastors and lay leaders for the service of the church and community at large.
The trainees are self-sponsored and drawn from local churches as well as international students from different countries.
The programs are short term courses from between 3 months to 1 year duration and are run under the Ywam international’s training arm the University of The Nations.
See the attached detailed report -: Training registrar’s office (No. 1)
Evangelism & Outreach Programs.
As is our core call as a mission we work in partnership with local churches in running evangelistic crusades, target-seminars in churches and also through our various ministry programs we conduct other outreach programs such as hospital visitations, clean-up campaigns etc.
Since our mission is international we often receive international mission teams/exchange programs from our sister Ywam centers across the globe with whom we serve the community in similar programs as stated above.
Also, international partner churches and para-church organizations/mission organizations do from time to time send their mission groups for short term groups mission visits.
Finally, we also receive individual volunteers seconded to us from across the globe to serve the local community through our exisiting programs and contacts on the ground.
Tree Planting & Relief programs:
Since 2005, our mission has distributed and planted over half a million trees, we have worked in conjuction with the local leadership, the District commissioners office as well as recently under the Regional commissioners office.
We have sourced tree seedlings from local entreprenurs as well as the Arusha Prison with whom we signed a contract for over 300,000 seedlings in 2012.
The tree project has covered Arumeru district, Arusha district as well as Singida region.
When we have had severe droughts and famine situation, our mission has sourced and distributed relief food to the most affected often throught the local government.
Currently the program of tree planting is being done in our Singida & Karatu field centers.
- Tumaini Children Ministry:
This program encompasses both a children home that serves as a drop in center/operation center as well as a home for a few of our target orphans and children in vulnerable situation.
For more details see attached report :- Tumaini (No.2)
- Sports Programs: New Vision Soccer Ministry:-
Our mission in partnership with New + Vision Soccer Inc of USA serves 80 boys from Ngaramtoni, Ilkiushin & Olorien villages through sports programs, primarily soccer.
The chief goal of this program is to alleviate poverty and drug addiction among the local youths through sports and education.
We aim at psycho-social development of the target boys to encourage healthy living relationships, mental and social development as well as developing their passion in soccer.
For more details see attached report :- New Vision soccer (No.3)
- HIV & AIDS Programs:
Our mission recognizes the inherent danger posed by the Aids epidemic to the social-economic development of our country. We fully understand the struggles of the infected as well as the ignorance of wider populance about Aids.
Our Aids program department reaches out to the community through training and educating the masses on matters HIV & Aids.
For details see attached report :- Rising Light (No.4)
- Women Groups and Relief for the Aged program.
In our field office center in Engikaret village of Longido district, we have several women programs that we have initiated.
- A group of 15 young maasai women have been taken through skills training and entreprenurship programs and through them we are running a women empowerment program. We have weekly meetings with them for follow-up.
- Once a month we run a larger women program that gathers over 300 women both young and old for mutual-training, discipleship, primary healthcare and nutritional training but also as a community gathering to discuss pertinent issues affecting the women-folk and their children in the maasai locality they live in.
In Ilkiushin village, the same program looks after the aged (home-based care), often doing visitations of the very aged and seemingly neglected members of our immediate society.
We provide relief food rations are often our first target when doing larger relied food distribution when hunger strikes due to acute drought and famine.
- Education sector programs: New Vision Schools
Our Mission believes that for sustainable social and economic development of any society, quality education is an absolute: We have therefore established in every location we we are in education service just as it is with all our community development programs, we seek to help those whom we engage to view education as important for their true personal development.
We have currently 4 schools under the umbrella/family of New Vision schools
- New Vision school, Arusha- This is the first and the main school.
- New Vision Engikaret School. Located in Engikaret village of Longido district.
- New Vision Karatu School – Located at the outskirts of Karatu town.
- New Vision School, Singida. Located at Kimbwi village, Ikungi district, Singida.
For more details see attachment :- New Vision Schools (No.5)
- Field Offices: Mission Outreach Centers.
Our Mission has developed field offices designed to take our services closer to the people that we desire to reach out and also for our staff members to stay with the people we seek to serve, learn their challenges and together develop solutions to their problems.
- Engikaret outreach center – Located in Engikaret village of Longido district.
- Karatu Outreach center- Located just outside the main town.
- Singida Outreach center – Located at Kimbwi village, Mwakiungi – Ikungi district.
For more details see attachment :- (No. 6 &7)
- Pamoja Dispensary: A partnership between Ywam Arusha and Now For Compassion, Tanzania.
- This modern, well equipped health facility is located at Olorien village near Ngaramtoni (opposite CRDB bank Ngaramtoni branch).
- Its the brain-child of our mission and our partners in South Korea, Now Mission Hospital aimed at providing available, quality and affordable medicare for the lower cadre of the citizens.
- We have sought to establish it as a low cost facility while having the best available lab equipments for proper diagnosis as well as qualified medical staff on hand to serve and present the love of Jesus to the sick and needy.
- The Dispensary opened its doors July 2014 and has been serving an average of 110 patients weekly.
- Its has 23 employed staff including medical and non-medical staff.
- Ywam signed a memoradum of understanding with Now hospital through their local representatives (Now For Compassion TZ) for the establishment and running of its services in 2013 and its official inauguration was done by the Arumeru district commissioner July 22nd 2014.
- Apart from offering out-patient clinical services we also offer quality diagonistic services including state-of-the-art Utra-sound and X-ray services.
- Faces for Hope Ministry.
This program targets rescue and support of the vulnerable girl-child among the Maasai community. We seek to give the girl-child alongside underpriviledged boys an opportunity to earn a decent education and determine their future undindered by retrogressive cultural practices.
- STAFFING & PERSONNEL:
- Youth With A Mission world-wide is a volunteer based mission organization that runs on the strength of missionary volunteers both local and international.
- Being international in scope, the mission’s various programs are run by missionaries from different denominations as well as from different nationalities including local missionaries.
- That status is the fact for the mission’s operations in Tanzania similar to all other 180-plus countries where the mission operates.
- Our local and international missionaries are self-supporting and do not receive any salary whatsoever but instead source funding from local and international partners, churches and friends. Ywam practices dependance on God for financial provision and budgeting purposes.
- Some of our projects like schools however employ trained experts in those fields all of whom are local people (Tanzanians)
- Total staffing of Youth With A Mission Arusha in all its centers in Arusha and Singida is 93 mission staff (Volunteer Missionaries) and 147 employed workers in our different departments therefore a total of 184 personnel.
- Of the total personnel; 37 are non-Tanzanians (foreign missionaries) and 147 are local staff -: missionaries & employees on salaries.